There’s so much to learn from a great comedian.
How to write. How to communicate. How to persuade. How to be vulnerable. How to be authentic. How to develop a voice. How to be unique. How to stand for something.
I learned a ton from Norm Macdonald.
The world didn’t just lose a hilarious guy — it lost a hell of a teacher too.
Now, on to this week’s ideas…
1. Read This Before You Launch A Paid Subscription
“Most products focus on monthly subscriptions, but that’s a mistake.”
In the process of growing This Is How I Do It into a $25,000+ annual revenue stream, I’ve learned a lot about what it takes to create a successful subscription product.
In this post I share five keys to launching a successful paid subscription including to find out if people want it before you create it, sell different instead of more, and nudge people to annual subscriptions.
Related: 40 one-sentence product sales tips.
2. How To Focus On One Channel For Your Content Distribution
“Pick a primary content distribution platform. Devote most of your time, effort, and money to growing your audience through that channel.”
I 100% agree with this concept and highly recommend you embrace it.
Ann Gynn explains how to focus on one channel for your content distribution and offers a fill-in-the-blank strategy to help you figure out which channel to use and what you want to get out of it.
Btw, I found this link in the Jess Picks newsletter.
3. A Directory Of 600+ Online Communities You Can Join
“This website is a free resource for professionals, creatives, students, teachers, and those that are just looking for some likeminded souls to hang out with.”
What a fantastic resource.
The Hive Index is a directory of 600+ online communities you can join organized around interests like marketing, entrepreneurship, and art.
4. Eight Valuable Lessons From Seven Twitter Growth Courses
“Turn your profile into a landing page.”
Sean Anthony spent $716 buying seven popular Twitter growth courses and then shared the most valuable things he learned in a free Twitter thread.
His eight valuable lessons from Twitter growth courses include how to pick three main content pillars, create a “thought museum,” and identify a problem to help solve.
Btw, I found this link in the Idea Economy newsletter.
Related: This is how to tweet five times a day.
5. How To Learn Copywriting From Norm Macdonald
“Make sure whatever you want to emphasize in a sentence is moved as close to the end of the sentence as possible.”
This is a clever (and helpful) tribute to a brilliant writer.
Dan Nelken breaks down how to learn copywriting from Norm Macdonald by using the comedian’s jokes to illustrate effective copywriting techniques.
Related: Viral writing 101.
You’re One Click Away From Becoming A More Confident Writer
I want to help you become a stronger writer.
That’s why I’ve created a collection of resources to help you better communicate and get value from your ideas.
Join This Is How I Do It today to get access to all these resources:
• How to edit your writing
• How to come up with topics to write about
• How to outline a blog post
• How to use email to communicate ideas and feedback
• How to use magic phrases
• How to summarize articles in a newsletter
• How to use Medium
• How to create a presentation
• How to write one-sentence tips posts
• How to tweet five times a day
• How to decide what to include in your newsletter
Plus, you’ll get 50 more resources to help you grow your audience and business.
• Sendinblue is the smartest, most intuitive platform for your business. Thrive digitally as we guide your business with the right marketing & sales tool
• Write Now: Your Blueprint to a Byline–Free Workshop. A combo seminar/working session, find out how to get started as a freelance writer. Sign up now.
• Learn the core points from the world’s best business and development books in less than an hour a day. For just $29 a month. Seriously.
• TryPigeon.co is a CRM, mail merge, and automated follow-ups inside your Gmail. Great for creators who do business inside their Gmail. Free to install.
• Want to find your dream team? Death To The Office is a free weekly report helping you discover new companies with modern benefits. Get started here.
Have something you’d like to tell 18,000 FTI readers about?
On average, sponsors get 150 clicks on their ads.
My Final Words Of The Week
Want to get more done by working smarter?
Here’s a great way to learn how to make that happen.
Khe Hy’s $10k Summit is a free virtual event featuring tactics from an all-star lineup of speakers whose work I often feature in my newsletter including James Clear, Rachel Rodgers, Anne-Laure Le Cunff, Dan Runcie, and more.
Have a great week!
PS — If you enjoy my newsletter I’d love you to tell others about it.